Saturday, January 6, 2007

Initiation



From the moment I arrived in Uganda (after a sleepless but well fed/watered/entertained flight), things have been happening at 100 kph. The experiences, rich and diverse, have been overwhealming. This will be a long post, so I will try to break them up into manageable, logical portions for ease of reading.

People

I was met at the airport by Dr. Mukozza, although not immediately. I had made a buddie on the flight, and was sitting with him at the exit. Dr.Mukozza was there on time, but was looking for a single person (oddly named "Chelsea Newcombe!"), and ignored me. It was only after calling the hospital for his number that we realized we were in the same place. He practiced as a physician for 7 years, but now teaches hospital administration for ICMI. Very nice man.

The day of arrival he toured me around Mengo hospital, adjacent to where I am staying. As we drove up the driveway, I saw a fellow muzungo (I am considered white). It was Emily Shelton and her boyfriend, Josh! I knew they were coming to Uganda, but not that they would be staying next door! I was then introduced to the head nurse, the deputy director, the HIV doctor, and various others.

Chelsea arrived yesterday, and we toured the hospital and the chaos that is downtown (pictures to follow) She is well, and it is great to see her! She, Emily,Josh and I will likely spend lots of time together, including travels. We met with two German (Dresden) medical students at the UPMB on their way to Tanzania. They stayed for two nights, and we all spent lots of time touring the city, having lunch etc. They are in their 5th year, and on a clinical "internship" at a hospital in Tanzania.



Health
During introductions, I was quickly, and unexpectedly, put to work in the paedeatric TB clinic under the guidance of the outpatient nurse. We recorded the visit, checked drug compliance, looked at X-rays, and if they were ok, wrote discharges from the program. Baptism by fire, very interesting, and saddening (as so many youngsters had TB) That day was also infant immunization day, so the place was packed with mothers and babies (and the inevitable noise). We also saw the laboratory, the dental clinic, and the administrative wing. Yesterday (with Chelsea), we were toured around the surgery theatre, but only after replacing our shoes with sterile gumboots. The surgery is rudementary by Canadian standards, but clean and professionally staffed. Victoria has a strong presence at this Christian funded hospital, with much of the equipment donated by local doctors. We have been warmly recieved ("you are welcome" is the standard greeting), and look foreward to ample opportunity to help in the hospital's various functions and programs. I am determined to see a baby born before I leave! The national AIDS infection rate is ~6-7%, but higher in the city. An average woman's fertility is 6.

No comments: